Children in 3rd World Countries vs. Western Children
American kids have become more and more overprotected with each passing year. Helicopter moms, injury-proof playgrounds, car-seats until they’re tweens, litigious-friendly coddling by all authority figures, altered youth sports rules to minimize harm, antibacterial everything, etc. are all things that simply don’t exist in 3rd world countries. I’m not saying we’re wrong for protecting our youth. I’m just saying children in 3rd world countries could crush our kids in real-life survival skills. And they’ll do a hell of a lot less whining in the process.
Here are 14 examples of how children in 3rd world countries kick ass!
1. All village kids are proficient with a machete by age 3.
2. Baby Bjorn? I think not. These kids are used to being strapped on mom’s back by a single piece of fabric…while mom’s working the field.
3. They know how to build their own fire and cook for themselves by age 4.
4. They carry more on their head than our kids wheel in their ergonomic wheeling backpacks.
5. Bicycles are not a toy, but a precious tool that gets them and all their siblings (on one bike) to and from school.
6. Pants and shoes are 100% optional.
7. The only toys village kids have are those which they have made themselves. Most often it’s some sort of wheel and stick combination.
8. They are responsible for keeping themselves on a motorbike by age 2.
9. They can say “hello”, “I love you”, bye bye”, “money”, and “candy” in a foreign language.
10. Showering fully clothed on the side of a highway or in a river, in freezing cold water – no problem! Swimming in the village = fun, bath, and laundry time all at once.
11. Any meat they’ve ever eaten was once their pet.
12. Not only do they know how to ride a motorcycle by their 12th birthday, they know how to push start them.
13. Western kids play house – village kids around the world actually tend house…and work the fields…and heard livestock…and take care of their siblings.
14. Total screen time in life – ZERO!
What are your thoughts on children in 3rd world countries vs. western kids?
Check out what Christine Gross-Loh at the Huffington Post has to say about this.
Do you have any examples of how children in 3rd world countries are badass? What are your thoughts on how over-protected children in the Western World are? Are protecting our kids, or are holding them back? Leave a comment below, we’d love to get your opinion.